All recyclable materials can be placed in any campus recycling container, including office bins.
- Mixed paper – without bindings, rubber bands or paper clips; staples don't need to be removed.
- Any type of paper, including envelopes, sticky notes, wrappers, newspaper, manila folders, boxboard (e.g., cracker or cereal boxes) and corrugated cardboard
- Magazines, phone books and paperbacks
- Empty containers
- Glass, steel and tin containers with lids removed
- Paperboard beverage containers
- Plastic bottles and containers with the #1-7 recycling symbol on the bottom
- Aluminum cans and clean foil
- Aerosol cans – containing no propellant
- Block Styrofoam
- Other recyclable materials
- Bubble wrap, packing peanuts and air packets: Bring them to the Sustainability Resource Center for free reuse by others!
- Building materials: Call (858) 534-2930 from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., weekdays.
- Empty toner cartridges
- Office equipment and furniture.
- Gently used clothing: Friends of the International Center Resale Shop
- Keep all trash out of recycling containers.
- Flatten cans and plastic bottles whenever possible.
- Empty and flatten all cardboard boxes before placing them inside recycling containers. Do not leave boxes near bins, dumpsters or on loading docks.
Note: Before purging paper files or generating large amounts of paper or beverage containers, contact the Facilities Management Customer Relations help desk, (858) 534-2930, at least 48 hours in advance to get a large temporary recycling container.
- Carbon paper
- Wax- and plastic-coated paper
- Tissue or paper towels
- Paper or containers contaminated by food or other organic waste
- Plastic film
- Styrofoam packing peanuts, food clamshells, plates, cups, etc.