UC San Diego Announced as 2017 USG NACDA Sustainability Award Winner 7/25/17
The National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA) and USG Corporation announced UC San Diego as the winner of the third annual USG NACDA Sustainability Award for its work on the Alex G. Spanos Athletic Performance Center.
UC San Diego Receives Digie Award for Campus Microgrid 6/15/17
UC San Diego won the 2017 IBCON “Digital Innovation (Digie) Award for Most Intelligent College Campus,” specifically for our Microgrid and energy management innovations.
Demonstrating Vehicle-to-Grid Technology Through CEC Grant 6/14/17
What if EVs could be turned into virtual power plants, feeding energy back into the grid? Nuvve and UC San Diego plan to demonstrate how to do this.
UC San Diego Wins Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Awards 6/8/17
The campus’s electric vehicle leasing/charging program and monitoring-based commissioning project were cited as best practices.
Jennifer Bowser Named Principal Exemplary Staff Employee of the Year 5/25/17
As Sustainability Program Coordinator, Jennifer engages students as peer education leaders and inspires innovative projects that have contributed to UC San Diego’s reputation as one of the nation’s greenest campuses. Watch the video.
2017 Sustainability Awards Announced 5/24/17
Six recipients were honored for their efforts to make UC San Diego more sustainable.
Students Seek to Ban Plastic Water Bottles from Campus4/27/17
Several students at UC San Diego’s Student Sustainability Collective (SSC) are working to make zero waste by 2020 a reality.
Sustainably Feeding the Hungry 4/27/17
The “Let’s Talk about Food Sustainability” event gathered community and campus groups to talk about food insecurity in San Diego and ways the public can improve regional food sustainability.
UC San Diego's 2017 Earth Month Celebration: Using Science to Protect the Planet 3/23/17
Sustainability, environmentalism and taking action against the threat of climate change will be at the center of UC San Diego’s Earth Month celebration throughout April.
Research to Help Mitigate Future Shocks to State’s Water, Food and Energy Supplies 2/16/17
UC San Diego School of Global Policy and Strategy professor Jennifer Burney aims to help prepare for future droughts by applying what we have learned from past droughts.
Sustainability Student Ambassador Receives Scholarship 2/9/17
Selena Lopez is one of only 20 students selected to participate in the new Principal Community Scholar Program.
UC San Diego Ranked a Top University in New Green Report 2/8/17
The 2017 Green Report by SaveOnEnergy.com ranks the campus in the top 100 among U.S. universities.
Learning to Live without Plastic
Professor Minoo Moallem challenged her students to avoid using plastic for 24 hours in her class “Objects and Commodities.”
Researchers Create Means to Monitor Anthropogenic Global Warming in Real Time
Study points to primacy of Pacific Ocean as a global climate force.
UC San Diego Named SDG&E Energy Champion
The campus was commended for its “remarkable commitment to sustainability, energy efficiency and conservation.”
Ahead of the Curve
From climate change to brain activity mapping to studies of the microbiome, the campus leads the way in global efforts with big payoffs for humanity
UC San Diego Sustainability Award Winners Announced
Nine award recipients to be honored for their contributions to sustainability and renewable energy on campus.
UC San Diego Shines a Spotlight on Sustainability
Student organizations, campus departments and outside vendors partnered at the Sustainability Fair to raise awareness about the impact we have on our environment.
A Day in the sun
Solar Chill project team hopes to inspire others at Clinton Global Initiative University.
Watch the UC Carbon Neutrality Summit Online
UC-TV now has presentations and interviews from the summit available for viewing.
UC San Diego Offers Expertise at Paris Climate Negotiations
The delegation of scientists and students brought climate science to the international climate negotiations.
Cool Campus Challenge Crowns a Winner
More than 19,000 participants took up the challenge to reduce their personal carbon footprints.
New EV Chargers Help Usher in Future of EV Charging
The next generation of EV chargers are being used to test a new form of data communication at UC San Diego.
Sierra Magazine Names UC San Diego 7th Coolest School in Nation
Water conservation efforts were specifically cited by editors: “Since 2009, the campus has reduced its water use by more than 30 million gallons a year.”
UC San Diego Receives SANDAG Diamond Award for Green Transportation Programs
UC San Diego received a SANDAG iCommute Diamond Award in recognition of its outstanding efforts to encourage employees to use alternative transportation.
New Partnership Supports Innovation in Sustainable Energy Technology
UC San Diego and UL, a global safety science organization, are working together to conduct research, share techniques and more.
Power to the Batteries
New center promises better batteries for low-carbon future
Making Every Drop Count: UC San Diego Steps Up Water Conservation Efforts
From turning off fountains to eliminating turf, UC San Diego is leaving no stone unturned in its efforts to conserve water and take additional action under Gov. Jerry Brown’s recent mandate to cut water usage.
UC San Diego Shows 23 Percent Drop in Water Use
A UT San Diego report shows that the university was the biggest water-saver in the 2014 budget year according to City of San Diego data.
Surfing Into a Greener Future
World’s first algae-based, sustainable surfboard produced by UC San Diego biology and chemistry students.
Earth Week Events Show It’s Easy Being Green
The campus learned eco-friendly lifestyle tips and ways to conserve water during Earth Week at UC San Diego.
UCSD Students Pick Through Garbage in Earth Day Demonstration
Students sorted through a bunch of garbage Monday to show how many recyclable materials are thrown in the trash.
New Campus Staff Association Sows Seeds of Sustainability
The association serves as a hub to foster sustainability efforts on campus and in the community.
UC San Diego Featured in Guide to Green Colleges
The university was highlighted in “The Princeton Review’s Guide to 353 Green Colleges: 2015 Edition.”
UC San Diego Celebrates Sustainability Efforts with Earth Week
A trash sort, Earth Day Fair and a call to conserve water are all part of this year’s Earth Week festivities.
Creating a More Bike-Friendly Campus
A popular pathway is about to get a makeover as part of UC San Diego’s efforts to create a more bicycle-friendly campus.
UC San Diego Receives $3 Million to Help Advance Energy Storage
Federal grant will help the campus move innovative energy storage technologies out of the lab and into the market.
New Green Building Tours at UC San Diego to Blend Architecture, History and Sustainability
Blending architecture, campus history and sustainability, new Green Building Tours will be offered starting this winter, hosted by the UC San Diego Visitor’s Tour Program in collaboration with UC San Diego Facilities Design and Construction and Housing and Dining Services.
Keeping Skies Clean and Clear in San Diego
UC San Diego received an APCD-IEA Blue Sky Leadership Award for its efforts to reduce air pollution and global warming.
Black’s Beach Gets Much Needed Public Restroom
The popular surf spot has its first ever environmentally-friendly restroom facility thanks to the combined efforts of the campus and community.
Making a Commitment to Conserve Water
The campus has taken significant action to reduce water consumption to the greatest extent possible.
Environmentally-Friendly Battery Energy Storage System to be Installed
One of the largest, most environmentally-friendly, battery-based energy storage systems in the nation will be installed on campus.
UC San Diego Ranked a ‘Coolest School’
Sierra Magazine ranked the university the 17th “Coolest School” for displaying a deep and thorough commitment to sustainability.
Scripps Oceanography Laboratory Building Awarded LEED Platinum
The Marine Ecosystem Sensing, Observation and Modeling (MESOM) Laboratory is the first lab building at UC San Diego to achieve LEED Platinum status.
UC San Diego Climate Researcher Leads Vatican Discussion on Climate Change
Veerabhadran Ramanathan, has been studying global warming since the 1970s. This past spring he had an audience with Pope Francis as the Vatican hosted a conference on climate change and its effects around the world.
UC San Diego Wins Diamond Award
Transportation Services wins the All-Star Award for its sustained commitment to alternative commuting programs.
Earth Week Underscores Commitment to Sustainable Solutions
The theme for the week of events, “Connecting the Drops,” helps illustrate UC San Diego’s water-saving strategies as California faces a severe drought.
Commitment to Conserve Water
With California experiencing a drought emergency, the campus is taking action to reduce water consumption to the greatest extent possible.
A Hotbed for Microgrids
The most sophisticated microgrid in the region is here at UC San Diego.
New Biomedical Research Facility Opens
Biomedical science students and faculty now have access to one of the most sustainable laboratories in the country.
Microgrid: Keeping the Lights On
Triton alumni magazine features UC San Diego’s microgrid, one of the most advanced microgrids in the world.
More Power To You: Ensuring a Reliable, Safe and Secure Supply of Energy at UC San Diego
Already recognized for its award-winning energy efficiency programs, the campus is taking steps to enhance its electrical system.
Efforts to Save Energy Result in Savings
UC San Diego receives $7.2 million in energy efficiency incentives from SDG&E. Incentives were earned through implementation of 30 energy efficiency projects from 2010-2012.
- UC San Diego Received $7.2 Million in Energy Efficiency Incentives from SDG&E
- UC San Diego Students Light Fires In Zero Gravity For Science
- Sustainability Town Hall with Chancellor Khosla (PDF)
- UC San Diego Achieves 'Gold' STARS Sustainability Rating
- UC San Diego Energy Leader to Help Develop Sustainable Resources on Island of Lāna’i
- UC San Diego Named Grand Champion at 8th Annual SDG&E Energy Showcase
- New Plant Protein Discoveries Could Ease Global Food and Fuel Demands
- UC San Diego Celebrates Arbor Day
- Joint Program with World Wildlife Fund Program Aims to Train Professionals from Around World in Measuring Forest Carbon
- UC San Diego Named One of Greenest Colleges in U.S. and Canada by Princeton Review
- As CO2 Reaches Symbolic Milestone, Scripps Launches Daily Keeling Curve Update
- La Jolla’s UCSD Celebrates Earth Week with Eco-Friendly Events
- UC San Diego Receives Diamond Award from SANDAG for Alternative Transportation
- UC San Diego's Secret Gardens: Farm to Table Comes to Campus
- Small, Portable Sensors Allow Users to Monitor Exposure to Pollution on Their Smart Phones
- UC San Diego’s Keeling Apartments Earn Top Honors for Innovative and Sustainable Landscape Design
- UCSD First in Countrywide iCommute Challenge
- Finding a Path to the Green Job Industry
- Changing the World of Renewable Energy
- Sustainability Experts at UC San Diego Give Tips on How to Beat the Heat and Save Energy
- Scripps and SoCalGas System to Use Algae to Capture Carbon Dioxide
- Dalai Lama Speaks About Climate Change
- Solutions depends on ‘oneness of humanity,’ Dalai Lama tells campus
- Campus supports sustainability during Earth Week
- Obama visits solar plant developed by UCSD engineers
- UCSD debuts vegan/vegetarian eatery
- Princeton Review Rates UC San Diego Among Nation’s Most Environmentally Responsible Universities
- UC San Diego Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center Recognized for Dedication to Sustainability
- Sustainability Comes Alive During UC San Diego’s Earth Week Celebration
- Transportation Services Helps Keep Campus Green
- Nanotrees Harvest the Sun’s Energy to Turn Water into Hydrogen Fuel
- Students Develop Website on How to Keep Holidays ‘Green’
- 40 Sustainability Sluggers: First-Ever All-Star Awards
- UC San Diego's Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center Combines Greenness with State-of-the-Art Treatment
- Sierra Magazine names UC San Diego third ‘coolest’ school for going green
- ‘Green’ goods, services, supplies have edge when university spends $450M/year with small businesses
- University Cutting Annual Lighting Costs $300K with Fluorescents, LEDs, Sensors, Controls
- Naomi Oreskes: Fierce Defender of Climate Change Science — and Scientists
- San Diego Renewable Energy Innovators Win Fellowships to Commercialize Inventions
- Solar Panels Keep Buildings Cool
- Popular San Diego Beach Sees Significant Reduction in Water Pollution from Land
- Potent Greenhouse Gas Eliminated from Routine Safety Test at UC San Diego
- UC San Diego Installing Another Megawatt of Solar Power, Boosting Renewable Energy Portfolio
- UC San Diego First California University to Achieve Gold STARS Sustainability Rating
- California Energy Commission Awards UCSD $2 Million for Biofuels Research
- Campus Shows Its Green Side for Earth Week
- Book on Global Warming: Replace Wishful Thinking with Bottom-Up Initiatives
- Campus Throws Open Doors to Reveal Green Spirit
- Nanoengineers Develop Novel Method Leading to More Efficient Fuel Cell Applications
- Renewable Energy Fellowships for San Diego Graduate Students and Postdocs
- Using Computers and Sensors to Curb Electricity Use in Buildings
- UC San Diego Chapter of Engineers for a Sustainable World Wins Solar Grant
- UC San Diego Sustainability Center Awarded LEED Gold Certification
- Newest UC San Diego Campus Apartments Immerse Students in Sustainability
- The Smartest Grid of All: Power Network That Pays Its Own Way
- UC San Diego Gets Plugged In: Electric Cars, Charging Stations Coming to Campus
- Ground-breaking Collaboration Empowers San Diegans to Lead the Clean Energy Evolution
- UC Gets Greener During 2010
- SCRTTC Announces New University Member
- With Solar Suitcase, UC San Diego Undergrads Dive into Humanitarian Engineering
- Engineering for the Earth
- Number of Students Majoring in Environmental Systems Continues on Upward Trajectory
- Jacobs School of Engineering Researchers Developing New Approaches to Saving Energy
- Wind Turbines Part of Future 'Green' Power
- Scripps Undergraduate Classes Focus on Pressing Environmental Challenges
- Turning a Deeper Shade of Green
- UC San Diego Installing 2.8 Megawatt Fuel Cell to Anchor Energy Innovation Park
- UC San Diego Vehicle Fleet One of America’s Greenest
- FuelCell Energy to Supply 4.5 Megawatts of Power Plants for Renewable Directed Biogas Project in San Diego, California
- UC San Diego Recognized for Sustainable Operations
- Survey: Green Jobs Offer Great Salaries and Promotion Potential
- EPA presents Energy Star award to UC San Diego
- UC San Diego Wins National Climate Leadership Award
- Viridity Energy and the University of California San Diego Awarded $1.6 Million to Optimize Solar Deployment on UCSD Campus Microgrid
- Solar Pioneer: Globe-trotting entrepreneur finds home heading strategic energy efforts at UC San Diego
- Newest UC San Diego Student Apartments: Green, Urban, Views, Amenities, Affordable
- Architecture award to Price Center for community space and sustainability
- Campus Buys 80 Percent Less Electricity during August Heat Wave
- Researchers Test Energy Saving in Data Centers Using DC Power Directly
- Sierra Magazine Names UC San Diego ‘Cool’ School for Going Green
- Collaboration on 'Sunlight-to-Fuels' Innovation
- Scripps Partnering on Study of Climate, Marine Ecosystems
- UC San Diego Signs Strong Fair Trade Policy
- UC San Diego Gains ‘Cool Planet' Membership for Cutting-Edge Energy Efficiency
- DOE Awards UC San Diego Consortium $9 Million for Algal Biofuels Research
- San Diego Region Awarded $4 Million Workforce Development Grant to Support Expanding Biofuels Industry
- UC San Diego Saving $8 Million Per Year, Wins EPA Energy Efficiency Award
- Students Recycle, Donate as Part of Zero Waste Move-out Campaign
- University of California wins 2010 Global Green USA Environmental Leadership Award
- UC San Diego and Sanyo Pioneer Next Generation Energy Management
- UC San Diego ‘Solar Soothsayer' on Fast Company's Most Creative List
- IPI 2010 Award of Merit: UC San Diego's Alternative Transportation Program
- Campus 2010 Sustainability Awards Recognize Collaboration
- 13 Professors, Students and Research Scientists Vie for $50k Clean Tech Commercialization Grants
- San Diego Trolley Extension Coming to Campus
- SDG&E Recognizes UC San Diego for Saving Additional $900,000 a Year in Energy Costs
- Campus-Operated Printers Stocked with Only Recycled Paper
- Scripps Researchers Outline Strategy to Limit Global Warming
- Going After Green Jobs
- Study Says Fossil-Fuel Subsidies Hurting Global Environment, Security
- $14 Million Biomedical Facility to Cut Water Use, 500,000 Killowatts of Electricity Annually
- UC San Diego Rated One of the Nation’s Most Environmentally Responsible Universities
- UC San Diego Biologist Receives 2010 World Ecology Award
- UC San Diego, Other UC Campuses Expanding Sustainable Foodservice
- EDSA, Viridity Building UCSD Microgrid
- Energy Dashboard Helps UC San Diego Curb Power Appetite
- Green Collar Economy: One Solution for Two Problems
- Meeting California's Renewable Energy Goals on Cloudy Days
- 240 UC San Diego Graduate Students on April 15 Will Display Sustainability Research Results
- Sustainability and Art on Display at Gallery@Calit2
- Senate-Administration Task Force to Enhance Sustainability Efforts
- 2nd San Diego Cleantech Initiative Taking Proposals
- Profile: UC San Diego's Director of Strategic Energy Initiatives
- Campus Awarded First LEED Gold Certification for 'Green' Remodel of Child Development Center Building
- Campus Urban Forest Becomes Living Laboratory
- 2010 Construction Projects at UC San Diego Total $568 Million
- UC San Diego Cuts Energy Use by $210,000 over Holidays
- UCSD Environmental Pioneer Surfs a Long, Green Wave
- New "Green" Student Apartments Win 2009 Construction Award
- UC San Diego Students Gravitating to ‘Green’ Majors, Courses and Internships
- Campus Celebrates Opening of Sustainability Resource Center
- UCSD Researchers Discover That Defects in Carbon Nanotubes Could Lead to Improved Charge and Energy Storage Systems
- UC San Diego Embarks on $73 Million Energy Efficiency Program
- Engineering Students Help San Diego Region Secure $154 Million in Solar Bonds
- San Diego Region Secures $154 Million in Clean Renewable Energy Bonds
- UC San Diego Rated 'Sustainability Leader' in Green Report Card
- UCSD Becoming Lab for Energy Innovation
- Plasma Power: Turning Fusion Into a Renewable Energy Source
- UC San Diego Scientist's Work Will Contribute to Better Understanding of Nuclear Ignition
- UC San Diego Receives $11 Million in Incentives for Renewable Energy
- Members of Campus Community Recognized for Sustainability Efforts
- UC San Diego Video Wins National Wildlife Federation "Chill Out" Contest
- UC San Diego and UC Davis Team to Boost Solar Power in California
- UC San Diego Vice Chancellor and Transportation Department Receive Energy Awards
- Greening the Internet Economy
- UCSD Wins 7th Place for America's Greenest Campus