Sustainability Coordinator, Housing, Dining & Hospitality
How can students save money and reduce waste by reusing a cup or bag at HDH locations?
Bring your own reusable/travel mug to markets and get 20 cents off your drink. If you bring a reusable bag or use your backpack, you can get 5 cents off — only applies to purchases where you would otherwise need a bag, not for small items, like a bar. Also, lots of hydration stations are located throughout campus where you can get free filtered, chilled water. Visit hdh.ucsd.edu/sustainability to see the latest hydration station map.
What do you recommend as best practices for residents who want to live sustainably on campus?
- Don’t get caught up in the latest trend. You end up wasting money on stuff you only use once.
- Share. I know it sounds old-fashioned, but really, share stuff with your roommates.
- Skip the to-go stuff. Sit down with friends and share a meal using “real” plates and silverware.
- Reduce your impact:
- Turn off lights, take shorter showers.
- Reuse. Recycle. Buy recycled products. Learn about what it takes to get “stuff” to you.
- Ask yourself: “Who made it?” “How far did it travel? And, think about whether it’s really worth it.
Who are the Econauts?
The EcoNauts are my student workers in Housing, Dining & Hospitality. Their job is to educate and inspire campus residents to live a more sustainable life while they’re here and hopefully learn some new habits to take with them when they leave.